onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

I was interested in this book about three sisters named after Shakespeare heroines because I wanted to compare it with my own experience as a part of a trinity of sisters (I'm the middle child). Like the Andreas sisters we also love to read, we even read when we eat. But I'm close to my siblings, unlike the Andreas sisters. Also, I couldn't really put myself in either of the sisters' positions because they all seem so extreme to me: Rosalind (Rose) is too controlling and critical of others, Bianca (Bean) is too wild, Cordelia (Cordy) is too careless and immature. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that I have a little bit of each sister in me: I can be dependable like Rose, but I also have a rebellious side like Bean, and a whimsical side like Cordy.

The use of first person plural ('we') in the narration can be a bit confusing and, in my opinion, is not as effective as in other books I've read which uses the same style, such as Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides and Joshua Ferris' Then We Came to the End. The fact that there are only three sisters severely limits who the 'we' can be, and it's especially awkward when all three are present in a scene and are addressed with 'she', but at the same time the narrative has to use 'we'. Apart from that, I enjoyed the writing.

The Shakespeare quotes went a bit over my head because I've only read a handful of the Bard's plays (shame on me as an English graduate, I know), but it was nice to read about people who love reading. I'm quite pleased with the ending for each of the characters. And while this book is not something I would re-read, I don't have anything too bad to say about it, so three stars from me.