onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

Reading about this Charlie kid gave me so much secondhand embarrassment. He's not just socially awkward like the blurb says; he seems socially clueless to me. I was a nerd in high school too, but at least I had a bit of a clue about how the jungle called high school worked. (I mean come on, he naively told a girl he just became friends with that he dreamt about her naked.) He's a high school freshman but sounds like a 10 year old. Plus he has emotional problems and cries all the time -- although I later found out that this problem is a lot more serious than I previously thought.

As I read further though, I realized that maybe Charlie isn't so clueless after all. Maybe he does know the rules, but he just doesn't play by them. I liked how his parents and family are decent people and not screwed up, and he also has nice, eccentric, genuinely good friends around him (Patrick was especially wonderful). The ending was uplifting. I think I'd like to see the movie.

Although if I was asked what was the best thing about Charlie, I'd say that he's not as annoying as Holden Caulfield.