onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Love Walked In - Marisa de los Santos "It was one of those dropped-from-the-sky silvery moments when you stand there believing that every last thing in the world is delicate, lovely, and precise, including and especially you."

This is a story about a girl, a woman, their lives, and what happens when their paths crossed and intertwined. The chapters switch back and forth between the (first person) point of view of 31-year-old Cornelia Brown, and that (not first person) of 11-year-old Clare Hobbes. The author actually started her writing career as a poet, so that probably explains her clever, amusing, enchanting way with words. There were laugh-out-loud moments as well as touching ones, sprinkled with numerous references to classical movies and literary characters (I don't know much about old Hollywood so I can relate better to the latter). I found myself enjoying the first half of the book better than the last and felt the ending fell rather flat, but I couldn't imagine the story to end in any other way. There's a sequel to this book called Belong to Me, and I'll definitely read it as Marisa de los Santos has officially entered the list of my new favorite writers.