onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Jane Eyre - Susan Ostrov Weisser, Charlotte Brontë This is a classic I'm glad I didn't miss. Aptly subtitled "An Autobiography", it is a first hand account of the life story of a poor, plain orphan girl as she progresses from childhood, adolescence, and into adulthood. Through the different periods of her life she proves herself as a brave, strong, outspoken, independent girl who never loses her sense of self-worth. The Gothic elements in the story fascinated me: the passionate romance between Jane and the brooding Mr. Rochester, a large old manor with mysterious inhabitants, prophetic dreams and seemingly improbable coincidences. On the other hand, the spiritual aspect of the novel resonates through the numerous quotes from religious scriptures and the main character's closeness to God. Though the length of the book is rather daunting at first, I find it fairly easy to read and very engaging. Definitely a worthy collection.

A favorite quote from the book: "I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give."