onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon My friend recommended this book to me back when we were in college and even brought it as a topic of our speaking skills class, saying that it's "amazing" and "a must read!". And she was right -- the book was interesting, amusing, heart-wrenching and endlessly fascinating. It's an easy, short read that you wish wouldn't end so quickly. Fifteen-year-old autistic child Christopher Boone tries to investigate who killed the neighbor's dog and instead has his world turned upside down.

The author did a great job in describing the thought processes and feelings of the autistic main character, 15-year-old Christopher Boone. I find that I could appreciate the acute differences between Christopher's and the average person's mind as well as acknowledge that we actually have quite a lot of things in common. Many people do have quirks and OCD-type behaviors much like Christopher's distaste for the color yellow and brown -- I, for one, sometimes can't stand seeing dog-eared book pages and unevenly folded papers. As I am introverted and not a people person (I'm getting better as I grow older though), I can understand Christopher's insecurities with other people.

On the other hand, I can also empathize with the everyday struggle his parents (especially his father) must go through in raising a child like Christopher -- even more than my sympathy for Christopher himself. Every time he and his dad touched the tips of their fingers to replace a hug I feel a tug at my heart. All in all, I highly recommend this book for being a lesson in empathy, tolerance and parenting.