onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Stardust - Neil Gaiman Finally finished this book after six days and an array of distractions.

It was an enjoyable read! A true fairy tale with all the wonder, adventure and magical creatures--and a lot of humor as well. The story tells about the faerie world which is only separated by a wall from the human world. The young, innocent hero Tristran Thorn decides to venture to the other side of the wall in search of a falling star to win the heart of his loved one. But little did he know that some others are also after the star, or that he actually has a stronger connection to the fairie world than he thinks.

Despite the theme and the flowery language appropriate to fairy tales, we can tell that the book is not meant for children, for (aside from some sex scenes) nowhere in children's fairy tales can we find a falling star that said "Fuck" after a hard landing ;P Am waiting forward for the movie now, hopefully it lives up to the book--or at least be a decent, complimentary film version of the story, for I have learned from the Harry Potter series never to expect a movie version to be the same with how I imagined the book in my mind.

I wish I could attain my Heart's Desire like Tristran did in the book--or to be more exact, to actually find out WHAT my Heart's Desire is and then attain it. Bah. But then again, as Tristran discovered, knowing what you want and trying to get it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it in the end... cause you might end up with something even better than you ever imagined.