onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee Lee This was one of those books which everybody but me seems to have read. I was going to rate it four stars, but after I finished it I went straight back to the beginning to read it again, which very rarely happens. I saw so much more of the novel's brilliance during my second read, so I think it deserves a spot in my five-star hall of fame. I knew from the start that the book discusses race, but it's about so much more than that. The book is also about family, class, parenting, background, and society in general; about prejudice, courage, justice, and tolerance. About respecting other people despite disagreeing with them wholeheartedly, about simply letting people be. In my mind Atticus Finch is one of the best fathers in literature, and Scout and Jem Finch some of the most endearing child characters. Atticus says, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” I think we all need to be reminded to climb inside other people's skin every once in a while.