onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

SPOILER ALERT!

Every Day by David Levithan

Every Day - David Levithan "I don't wish to change you
You got it under control
You wake up each day different
Another reason for me to keep holdin' on"

― Jason Mraz, "The Woman I Love"

It is one thing to show different sides of ourselves each day like the woman in Jason Mraz's song. It is another thing altogether, though, to be like A, the main character in Every Day, who wakes up in a different body each day. The main conflict in this novel is how A struggles to build and maintain a relationship with his supposed star-crossed true love, Rhiannon, despite having to inhabit a different person's life every day. There are certain rules to how A switches bodies: he only inhabits people the same age as he is (sixteen) and all living within several hours of each other. To me the latter merely seems like a convenient plot device, as it allows some room for A and Rhiannon to meet every once in a while.

Yet the book still engages me and keeps me guessing how it would end. The personal stories of each person A inhabits also provides some interesting discussion points for teens reading this YA novel, although Levithan is very clear on his bias about each subject that it may come across as directing the reader's views. The ending feels fitting, all things considered. I do think, though, that Rhiannon only seems to love A merely because he loves her. She simply needs someone to understand her and be good to her, something her boyfriend Justin can't do. But in a way that sets things nicely for A to leave her with Alexander, a nice guy who can understand her and be good to her.