onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Quiet. The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking - Susan  Cain

I've seen some comments saying this book is meant to make introverts feel good about themselves. Well, I say introverts deserve to feel good about themselves once in a while, because most of the time we are made to feel that we are somehow lesser than others because we are introverts. From our earliest years we are constantly urged to 'speak up' and 'be active' in social situations. If I could get a coin every time someone said to me "Why are you so quiet?" or "You haven't said anything!" since I was a little kid, I would be a billionaire by now.

I have learned to speak up more and be more active in certain circumstances especially in educational and professional settings, to somewhat fake it in order to get by. But as this book describes, we also need our personal time to recharge and find a balance. And we have our own strengths that should not be underestimated just because we are not loud about it. We can be ourselves and we're just fine the way we are, because without us the world would've been an unbearably loud place.