onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent - Veronica Roth

This book would've been better for me if the romance isn't so prominent. I know romance is a huge part of YA dystopias in general, but the romance in this book is present in almost every other page, it's so distracting. I'm only thankful I was spared another full-fledged love triangle — that would've been really annoying.

The idea of a society divided into five factions based on different values is quite interesting. Too bad there aren't any factions for someone like me, who values peace and kindness like the Amity but sometimes just wants to be alone, who enjoys learning like the Erudite but doesn't want to think too hard, who thrives in the face of challenge like the Dauntless but in the end simply wants a comfortable life. I guess I'm a Divergent too.

What bothers me, though, is the fact that the people who are not part of any established faction, the factionless, do "the work no one else wants to do". If the Abnegation are completely selfless and devoted to others, why are there jobs that even they won't do? I guess they're not selfless enough to become janitors? And how come the factionless, people who are condemned to "less than death", operate trains and drive buses? They are considered low and dangerous, so how come the factions trust them to operate their transportation?

Overall, while the writing is good and the story quite engaging, I think I've had enough of YA dystopias for a while (and why do they always come in trilogies anyway?).