onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

The Pelican Brief - John Grisham On this year's Lebaran I visited the house of an aunt, and her son (my cousin, naturally) had a few books on a shelf in a room that used to be his--before he moved out, got married and had three babies. I've been wanting to borrow those books so I finally did. Mind you, the books were first editions that are old and yellowing, with fonts that are not so easy on the eyes, but I want to read them anyway.

Since my cousin (and his sister, and his wife also) went to law school, I guess it was natural that he had a few John Grishams in his collection. The first one I decided to read was this one. It was quite interesting and thrilling at times, with a huge conspiracy lurking behind the murder of two Supreme Court judges. Innocent law student Darby Shaw made a wild guess of who and what may be behind the murders, but she found out that her guess hit home when she was the next target.

The story doesn't only revolve around law institutions and law schools, but also the White House, CIA, and FBI--which shows just how big the conspiracy is. It also delves with the world of investigative reporting, in which a newspaper writer tries to uncover the bigger-than-Watergate story.

For me the part near the end where they get close to publishing the story on the paper's front page is where it gets a bit dull cause there's no more action, just a bunch of editors squabbling on whether or not to print the story. Also, the president of the USA is portrayed as a rather dim-witted man who depends on his chief of staff and would prefer playing golf from facing problems. Makes you wonder, huh?

Overall, it was quite a fun read, and shows you just what people would do for money and power. And that those people might be watching your every move without you even noticing. Ha!

Next up in the Grisham list: A Time to Kill and The Client.