onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett I love love love this book! It often happens that when I read a children's book I can't help feeling that I would've liked it better or been more impressed had I read it as a child. That is not the case with A Little Princess. Sara Crewe is a wonderful, dignified character who is intelligent, kind, strong and wise beyond her years. She is a princess when she is rich and treated with reverence by all the people in her boarding school. She is still a princess, even after her father dies and loses all his fortune, leaving her penniless and with nowhere to go. She is always a princess, despite the fact that she has to go from being a show pupil to a lowly servant at the school. Nearly everyone treats her like trash, but she never becomes spiteful or stoops to the level of those who scorn her. A girl like Sara deserves nothing less than magic, such as that which helps her go through daily suffering and turns her luck around through a seemingly improbable coincidence. Because of those reasons above and so much more, this book deserves my five stars. Because being a princess "has nothing to do with what you look like, or what you have. It has only to do with what you think of, and what you do".