onlywords

Words of a Bibliophile

"It's only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away." —Bee Gees

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Beautiful Ruins: A Novel - Jess Walter "All we have is the story we tell. Everything we do, every decision we make, our strength, weakness, motivation, history, and character – what we believe – none of it is real; it's all part of the story we tell."

This was a good story indeed (and what a gorgeous cover!). But while the parts with Pasquale Tursi and Dee Moray in 1960s Italy captivated me, I couldn't bring myself to be interested in many of the other characters and story lines. I didn't really want to read a chapter from anyone's novel or self-help book or movie pitch, or hear about the personal histories of the book's supporting characters. I just wanted to get back to Pasquale and Dee and find out what happens to them. This book ultimately felt to me like a tragicomedy you see randomly in the theaters one day when you're not in the mood for any of the other movies that are playing. The film can be a bit dark, sometimes hilarious, but mostly romantic and rather bittersweet. Afterwards you don't remember very much about it except that the Italy part was lovely.